Don’t worry, we still have an inside baby, and likely/hopefully will for a few more weeks. (L&D is Labor & Delivery, for anyone who doesn’t know)
I will once again preface this with: everything is fine. But Tuesday was a little scary.
Monday night, I went to bed with a headache. This is nothing new, I’ve had a headache pretty consistently for the past few weeks… and Andrew and I had a little bit of a disagreement, so I figured it was mostly stress. I woke up a few times during the night, thanks to the headache. Finally at 5am I woke up, and realized the headache was so nasty I just wasn’t going to be able to sleep anymore. So I took my BP. Just above the “call the doctor” range (top higher than 140, bottom higher than 100). 5 minutes later, roughly the same.
So I called the doctor once the office opened. Back and forth with the triage nurse — calls to the office go like this: 1. Talk to the receptionist, tell her the problem. 2. Receptionist relays message to triage nurse. 3. Triage nurse calls me back, I reiterate / elaborate on problem. 4. Triage nurse checks with on-call doctor. 5. Triage nurse calls me back to relay the doctor’s response.
As you might imagine, this isn’t exactly a speedy process. But, I know that I will always get an answer the same day. And it’s reassuring to know that if I call at say 4:30 (they close at 5) they will still call me back — it just might not be until 7 or 8pm. No big deal. And I’m sure uber urgent calls get uber urgent response.
Somewhere around 2:30 (still waiting on step 4 & 5), I started having sharp pain in my upper right abdomen. Which was one of the symptoms the nurse asked about when we spoke, and I know as a sign of pre-eclampsia, or at least one variant of it–specifically speaking to liver problems. So I call again, and tell the receptionist. The triage nurse calls me back, to let me know the on-call doc says to up my meds, and I tell her about the pain. She has me take my BP again, it’s still somewhat high, she tells me to take another pill, and she’ll talk to the doc again about the pain. By the time she calls back after that, the pain has subsided. She tells me that if it hadn’t subsided, they’d tell me to go to the hospital. Instead, if the pain comes back, just go to the hospital.
So around 7pm, I went to the hospital. All my labs come back fine, and laying down has significantly reduced my BP. Basically I guess the prognosis was I need to up my meds, and baby was probably kicking me in an unfortunate spot (like, my liver :P). Also, the on-call doc was very cranky that I didn’t call before going to the hospital. The nurse said “if it comes back, just go to the hospital,” so that’s what I did. Not my fault!
Anyway, all seems well. Or well enough. I’m now on 300mg 3x/day — I started at 100mg 2x/day. But I think you can go as high as 2400mg/day. And I discovered that between the dosage increase, and laying down all day yesterday, my headache finally went away. (It came back this morning after being up and about for my doctor’s appt.) So, I’m not on bed rest, per se… but I’m going to be spending a lot of time there. Netflix is my new best friend.
Obviously, every day/week that little girl gets to stay inside is all the better. I was originally shooting for at least 37 weeks, knowing that is, by some definitions, “full term.” At this point, it seems like 36 weeks is almost as good. That’s the point where they need the lowest level NICU care (that said, our hospital has a level 3 NICU which I believe is the highest). But, regardless, it’s reassuring to know that she would probably be ultimately fine if she came, like, yesterday.
And now back to some trashy TV….